Sara joined Public Health Wales in May 2016 as a researcher in the prevention of injuries and violence. She is currently engaged in a number of European/International projects, including the reduction of health inequalities in the European Union (with a focus on alcohol consumption and related harms) and the development of a practical manual on the implementation of schools-based violence prevention. Before joining Public Health Wales, Sara worked as a researcher at the Centre for Public Health, Liverpool John Moores University, conducting evidence reviews, primary research and data analysis for the WHO Collaborating Centre for Violence Prevention. Other relevant work has included an investigation into how health data from e.g. emergency departments, hospitals and ambulance services can best be used to help inform and direct local violence prevention efforts.
- Quigg, Z, Ford, K, Wood, S and Hughes, K. Optimising the use of NHS intelligence in local violence prevention and measuring its impact on violence: project research findings. Liverpool: Centre for Public Health, 2016.
- Ford KJ, Quigg Z, Wood S, Grant C et al. A case study to demonstrate the use of health data in violence prevention within the voluntary and community sector: Local Solutions. Liverpool: Centre for Public Health, 2015.
- Wood, S, Ford K, Quigg Z, Hughes K. A guide to using health data to inform local violence prevention. Liverpool: Centre for Public Health, 2014.
- Wood S, Eckley L, Hughes K, Hardcastle KA et al. Computer-based programmes for the prevention and management of illicit recreational drug use: a systematic review. Addictive Behaviours, 2014, 39(1):30-8.
- McHale P, Wood S, Hughes K, Bellis MA et al. Who uses emergency departments inappropriately and when – a national cross-sectional study using a monitoring data system. BMC Public Health, 2013, 11:258.
- Hughes K, Bellis MA, Jones L, Wood S et al (2012) Prevalence and risk of violence against adults with disabilities: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. The Lancet, 2012 :379: 1621-1629.
- Jones L, Bellis MA, Wood S, Hughes K et al (2012) Prevalence and risk of violence against children with disabilities: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. The Lancet, 2012, 380: 899-907