Katie joined Public Health Wales in February 2016, having previously worked as a researcher for the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Violence Prevention at Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool University, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service and Victim Support.
In her research career to date, Katie has led and worked on both national and international projects on the prevention of violence and other harms from alcohol, substance use and risk behaviours, with a particular focus on the early years and child maltreatment. Katie has specialist skills in evidence review and synthesis, as well as experience designing and conducting process and outcome evaluations for evidence-based interventions. She is currently involved in work exploring the longer term health and social outcomes of adverse childhood experiences (ACEs), and is developing tools and methods for evaluating approaches to ACE identification and response across a range of different settings and services.
- Hardcastle K, Bellis MA, Hughes K, et al. (2015). Implementing child maltreatment prevention programmes: what the experts say. Copenhagen: World Health Organization.
- Hughes K, Bellis MA, Hardcastle K, et al. (2015). Associations between e-cigarette access and smoking and drinking behaviours in teenagers. BMC Public health, 15(9), 244.
- Hardcastle K, Hughes K, & Quigg Z. (2015). Experiences and attitudes towards unwanted sexual touching in the night time economy: The impact of the There’s No Excuse campaign. Liverpool: Centre for Public Health.
- Hughes K, Hardcastle K, & Perkins C. (2015). The mental health needs of gang affiliated young people. London: Public Health England.
- Hardcastle K, Hughes K, Sharples O, & Bellis M. (2015). Trends in alcohol portrayal in popular music: A longitudinal analysis of the UK charts. Psychology of Music, 43(3), 321-332.
- Hardcastle K, et al. (2014). “Most people I know have got one”: Young people’s perceptions and experiences of electronic cigarettes. Liverpool: Centre for Public Health.
- Hughes K, Bellis MA, Hardcastle K, et al. (2014). Global development and diffusion of outcome evaluation research for interpersonal and self-directed violence prevention from 2007 to 2013: a systematic review. Aggression and Violent Behaviour, 19(6), 655-662.
- Bellis MA, Hughes K, Leckenby N, Hardcastle K, et al (2014). Measuring mortality and the burden of adult disease associated with adverse childhood experiences in England: a national survey. Journal of Public Health, August 30, Online first.
- Hardcastle K, Hughes K, & Quigg Z. Perceptions and impact of the Shrewsbury Safer Nights minor injury unit. Liverpool: Centre for Public Health, 2014
- Hardcastle K, Hughes K, Bellis MA. UK guidance on sexual assault interventions: recommendations to improve the standards of policy and practice in the UK. Liverpool: COSAI and Centre for Public Health, 2013.
- Hardcastle K, Hughes K, Bellis MA. Comparing Sexual Assault Interventions Project UK case study: SafePlace Merseyside: Liverpool’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre. Liverpool: COSAI and Centre for Public Health, 2013.