Kathryn Ashton is a Public Health Researcher within the Policy, Research and International Development Directorate of Public Health Wales and has worked for Public Health Wales since 2012. Her background is as a researcher in social sciences, social policy, criminology and statistics, having previously worked as a Senior Research Officer for the Office of National Statistics and as a Statistical Analyst for Statistics New Zealand. Kathryn has an MSc in Social Research Methods and a BSc First Class Honours in Social Policy and Criminology, both obtained from Cardiff University. Kathryn also obtained a Distinction in a Certificate in Promoting Public Health.
Kathryn’s current work focuses on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) in Wales, the Night Time Economy and the evaluation of public health interventions, alongside working to develop research within the organisation. Kathryn has experience in both qualitative and quantitative research methods and has expertise in research project management, research governance and ethics, survey methodology, qualitative interviewing and analysis.
- Bellis, M.A., Quigg, Z., Hughes, K., Ashton, K., Ferris, J. and Winstock, A. 2015. Harms from other people’s drinking: an international survey of their occurrence, impacts of feeling safe and legislation relating to their control. BMJ Open 5:e010112. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010112
- Williams, R., Ashton, K., Aspinall, R. et al. (2015). Implementation of the Lancet Standing Commission on Liver Disease in the UK. Lancet 386: 2098-2111.
- Van Woerden, H., Ashton, K., Garlick, C., Hurley, A., Cooper, A., Willson, A., Henry, R., Kiparoglou, V., and Potter, C. (2014) Evaluation of a web based tool to improve health behaviours in healthcare staff. International Archives of Medicine 7(1):44
- Grant, A., Ashton, K and Phillips, R. (2014) Foucault, Surveillance, and Carbon Monoxide Testing Within Stop-Smoking Services. Qualitative Health Research vol 10
- Ashton, K and Portanti, M. 2011. Tracking Procedures on the Employment, Retention and Advancement Survey. Survey Methodology Bulletin 68
- Ashton, K and Portanti, M. 2010. Attrition on Longitudinal Surveys: A Literature Review. Survey Methodology Bulletin 67
- Ashton, K and Dunn, E. 2009. Online Opinions: A pilot to extend the Office for National Statistics Data Collection Capabilities. Survey Methodology Bulletin 65, also presented at the Government Social Research Annual Conference July 2009.
- Ashton, K and Kent, K. 2008. Annual Population Survey Household Datasets. Economic and Labour Market Review 2:10 pp.44-5
- Ashton, K, John S, Evans J and Lloyd-Williams, S. Evaluation of the Bump Start maternal obesity support service in Cwm Taf. Poster presentation at the Royal College of Midwifery Conference, Harrogate. November 2016.
- Ashton, K, Bellis MA and Hughes K. Adverse Childhood Experience in Wales. Pitch presentation at the European Public Health Conference, Vienna. November 2016.
- Ashton, K and Lloyd-Williams, S. Evaluation of the Bump Start maternal obesity support service in Cwm Taf. Breakout presentation at the Welsh Public Health Conference, Cardiff, November 2016.
- Manchester, September 2016.
- Ashton, K. (2015). Adverse Childhood Experiences and their impact on health-harming behaviours in the Welsh adult population. Breakout presentation at the Welsh Public Health Conference, November 2015.
- Ashton, K. (2015). Collation of NICE guidelines and recommendations associated with the primary prevention of liver disease: an assessment of relevant activity in Wales. Poster presentation at the Welsh Public Health Conference, November 2015
- Ashton, K. 2011. How Kiwis Spend their Time. Poster Presentation at the International Time Use Research Conference, August 2011.
- Ashton, K, Bellis MA, Davies, AR, Hardcastle, K and Hughes K. 2016. Adverse Childhood Experiences and their association with chronic disease and health service use in the Welsh adult population. In print.
- Ashton, K, Bellis, MA, Hardcastle, K., Hughes, K., Mably, S. and Evans, M. 2016. Adverse Childhood Experiences and their impact on mental well-being in the Welsh adult population. http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/news/41957/
- Bellis, MA, Ashton, K., Hughes, K., Ford, K., Bishop, J. and Paranjothy, S. 2016. Adverse Childhood Experiences and their impact on health-harming behaviours in the Welsh adult population. http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/news/40000/